Every accident victim has the right to seek some form of monetary compensation. Still, those victims with a more serious injury have reason to expect a larger award.
What features of a serious injury account for the fact that the injured victim has reason to expect a larger award?
The victim must cover the charges for a larger number of medical tests and procedures.The victim’s income suffers, because he or she did not recover quickly. As that recovery progresses, additional needs might have to be addressed. Those would include things like medical equipment, physical therapy, or changes in the home, in order to accommodate the disabled victim.
The degree of permanence that is linked to an injury’s effects could increase the size of the claimant’s/plaintiff’s award.
• There might be scarring in the area of a wound.
• The injury might cause a disfigurement of some visible body part.
• The accident might have been responsible for one or more broken bones.
• The victim might have lost consciousness temporarily. If that is the case, the victim should report the episode of lost consciousness.
• The accident might leave one or more of the persons involved traumatized.
Victims should seek to learn about how any treatment could have an effect in the future. For instance, some medications, if given in an IV can cause hearing loss to begin at an earlier point in the recovered patient’s life.
Emotional issues might increase the size of the compensation for someone that could claim to have suffered a serious injury.
• The claimant might report heightened anxiety.
• The claimant might have become depressed.
• The claimant might have undergone a good deal of stress.
• The claimant’s injury might have caused an inability to take part in a certain activity, one that had been a favored activity.
The claimant’s struggles could become so great that he or she lost all enjoyment of life. Some injured claimants miss the opportunity to take part in a planned event. For instance, the injury could keep the recovering patient/claimant from speaking at a conference. Alternately, it could keep a young lady from taking part in a wedding ceremony.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Waterdown knows that for some claimants, the effects of their injury could reduce the chances that any one of them might have to increase his or her earning power. For example, it could be that the prescribed treatment involved utilization of a surgical procedure. In that case, there would arise the possible chances for further surgery at a later time.
The need for multiple surgeries could create spaces in the claimant’s resume. A human resources department would see those spaces, and hesitate to schedule an interview for the job applicant/claimant. In other words, that resume could deprive the claimant of a job.